Basic homemade bread
- baking tray or tin – the shape you get is up to you
- 500 grams Strong Bread Flour
- 7 g fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 ml hand-hot water
- STEP 1Tip the flour into a bowl and mix in the yeast with the salt. Stir in the water, oil and honey. Now bring together to make a soft dough – I use my hands, but a wooden spoon or knife from the cutlery drawer is fine. Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins. It is worth putting in the time to do this as it will pay off later with lovely airy bread.
- STEP 2Don’t keep adding flour, a wet dough is better than a dry one, which will bake to a tough texture, so if you don’t like the dough sticking to your hands, lightly oil them. If you are adding flavourings, knead them in gently now.
- STEP 3Turn the dough into a non-stick 1kg bread tin and cover with cling film (or better still, a free unused shower cap from your last hotel stay!). Put in a warm place until the bread fills the tin, it should take between 1-2 hrs.
- STEP 4Uncover and bake your bread at 200C/180C fan/gas 6 for 30-35 mins until golden. Tip out of the tin and tap the base of the loaf. It should sound hollow when fully cooked. If not cooked, put loaf back in the oven out of the tin and test again after 10 mins. Cool.
inspiration from https://www.bbcgoodfood.com who have plenty of recipes we trust and have tried.